Thursday, March 12, 2009

I Learn A Lot More From Magazines

We parents aren’t the only ones who have to explain our decision to unschool. Kindly adults ask N.  directly where he’s going to kindergarten next year, of course. This evening I overheard bits and pieces of one such conversation while I was talking to another parent.

Neighbor: So, N., do you go to school yet?
N.: No.
Neighbor: Are you starting kindergarten in the fall?
N.: No.
Neighbor: Preschool?
N.: No. I'm not going to school.
Neighbor: [says something gently admonishing, along the lines of “Oh, but school is so important”]
N.: I learn a lot more from magazines with my dad than I would at school. [He elaborates on this point, but I couldn't hear exactly what he said.]
Neighbor: [seems a bit shocked, but I couldn’t hear what she said so I jumped in, a bit defensively]
Me: We’re homeschooling next year.

Later, on the way home, I said to N., “When people ask you what school you are going to next year, you can just tell them that you and Daddy and I are doing homeschool.”
N.: But I like to give people information! That’s not enough information!

I need to trust him to hold his own in these conversations! Clearly he is not nearly as self-conscious about “coming out” as a homeschooler as I am!

1 comment:

Jena said...

Ha! I love this! Brings back fun memories. :) He's such an articulate young man. Thanks for visiting my blog. It's nice to meet you. I'm excited to see that you are a literature professor planning to unschool. I'm looking forward to reading your posts.