Friday, August 28, 2009

Birthday Boy

[Updated: Can you see the pictures now?]
Last week, N. turned 5. In the past, we’ve celebrated his birthday with family members, but this year he wanted to invite friends to a party, so we invited 5 kids. We tried to keep it as low-key as possible. The invitations were written out on the back of N.’s drawings, and we didn’t plan any games or other entertainment but simply asked children to join us for playing, pizza, and cake.



I made felt crowns for party favors...



...and for the second year in a row I made a train cake (with lots of help from my sister!):



Sadly, the cake looked much better than it tasted (dry and baked too long, I think) but at least thanks to the all-natural food dyes, real-flavored candies, and absence of chocolate, there were no birthday-boy meltdowns this year! And fortunately there was plenty of ice cream to moisten the cake.

It was a lovely day, and I still can't believe my little boy is five.

2 comments:

Mom and Kiddo said...

Happy Birthday to Norris

sgaissert said...

Happ7y, happy birthday to your boy! Five is so wonderful. You get to use your whole hand to show it. : )