Monday, August 24, 2009

Read-Aloud Log

I have lots to catch up on here, but this is just a brief post to say: I am reading Jim Trelease's Read-Aloud Handbook after seeing it mentioned on several homeschool blogs and I can't recommend it highly enough. If you are already doing lots of reading aloud to your child, it makes you feel like a parenting rock star. If not, it will inspire you to do more, and it gives you oodles of suggested titles. He makes a compelling case for reading aloud as one of the most crucial elements of a child's learning process.

[This was the first book N. noticeably paid attention to when it was read to him: Iona Opie's Mother Goose collection, illustrated by Rosemary Wells. He's about 4 months old in this picture -- oh, my baby!]

Trelease's book inspired me to keep track of what we read aloud to N., so I've added a LibraryThing widget to my sidebar for this purpose. North Carolina homeschool laws require very little record-keeping, but I want to get in the habit of keeping track of what we're doing, though in an unschooly way, and this seems like a good place to start. I've begun my list with recently read chapter books, but I will go back and add as many picture books that we've read as I can recall, since these are a crucial part of reading aloud as well, and Trelease points out that reading chapter books should not replace reading picture books.

[Grandma reading Sandra Boynton's Barnyard Dance, another early favorite of N.'s. I will probably be reciting this book when I am senile and in a nursing home some day. "Stomp your feet, clap your hands, everybody ready for a barnyard dance! Bow to the horse, bow to the cow, twirl with the pigs if you know how..." N. is about 6 months old here.]

[Daddy reading a grown-up illustrated book about birds to N. while N. holds some of the birds in the collection of his adult half-sister Anne and her husband Kyle. N. is 20 months old here.]

2 comments:

Amy said...

I loved the Read-Aloud Handbook. Reading it encouraged me to start chapter books with my daughter, and we've never looked back. Don't you love Library Thing, too? It makes it so easy to keep up with what you've read.

Emily said...

I _love_ these pictures. They made me teary. He looks like such a baby in them! How did he grow up so fast?