Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Supply and Demand

N. had his five-year-old medical check-up yesterday, and was scheduled to get the H1N1 vaccine. But since his pediatric practice doesn't have as much vaccine as they were expecting to have, they are only giving it to the highest-risk children. N. didn't qualify because he's homeschooled! Now, I realize that the vaccine is in short supply nationwide, but I thought it was a little annoying that he was ruled out just because he's homeschooled. It's that old socialization canard again, right? As if he's in total isolation and never interacts with other kids! In fact, he plays almost every day with our next-door neighbors (who go to preschool and thus presumably are exposed to the flu). Plus, we've had well over 100 cases of H1N1 on my campus this semester and I would think that my proximity to all those germy college students whose immune systems are compromised by their excessive imbibing would give us extra points in the vaccination rationing. Apparently not.

Well, I know we're not the only ones who want the vaccine for our kids and can't get it (except for those in New York who can get it but are declining it), and I do think its fairly likely that we've been exposed already. Maybe that little on-again, off-again fever N. had for a couple days two weeks ago will inoculate him for now.

No comments: