Tuesday, November 23, 2010

On Anonymity

I blog pseudonymously (no really, Fanny Harville is not my actual name!) primarily so that my professional work remains prominent when you Google my real name.  I have been feeling guilty that by using my son's real name I may not be affording him this same luxury (that is, the luxury to control his online presence at some future point in his life), even though I have never used his last name on this blog.  So over the next few weeks I am going back over posts to remove his name and replace it with an initial N.  This won't affect comments where his name appears, but I hope it will at least minimize its appearance.  I'd be so grateful if those of you readers who know his name would use the initial to refer to him as well in your comments going forward.

Even though I justified blogging about my child in my Blog Mission Statement a year ago and I try to be as mindful of N.'s privacy as I can in my posts, I still occasionally feel somewhat vexed about the act of blogging.  For me the blog is a productive interactive space for thinking through homeschooling issues.  But how would I feel as a child to be the subject of such a blog?  (N. doesn't know about this blog, or about blogs in general).  I've tried to remember what it felt like when I was a kid and I overheard adults talking about me, but that is not really comparable.  I hope by reducing the presence of N.'s name on the blog, he will feel less like a public object when he does read this.

2 comments:

Mom and Kiddo said...

I often think there may be a time that I pull down my blog even though I've chosen anonymity. It's hard to be completely anonymous when there are some people out there in the world who know who the actual author is.

When he is older, I would never want my sons' classmates to Google their names and find a slew of posts about them.

growingflowers said...

I have thought about this often as well. My girls are teenagers and we have a rule. I cannot post a picture of them without their approval. They read my blog regularly and let me know if they would like something changed or removed.