Thursday, December 30, 2010

Geography: Collecting Quarters

Tim and N. have been collecting the special "states and territories" quarters for more than a year and they have them all except Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands.  My sister recently bought N. a folder in which to display them and it turned the quarters into an amazing geography learning tool that N. has really loved.  He likes quizzing us on the dates when the various states entered the Union, and testing himself on his recognition of the states by shape and location.  My sister also got us the folder for the "National Parks" quarters so we've begun collecting them.  5 new designs will be minted each year until 2020, when N. will be 16 (which is completely unfathomable).  We'll see if he's still interested in collecting quarters then!  In the meantime, I recommend quarter collecting as a fun way to learn the U.S. map.

5 comments:

Mom and Kiddo said...

We never put them on a map, but Kiddo was also completely obsessed with the state quarters. I didn't know there were national park editions! Maybe I should pay more attention to my money.

Kim said...

Have you seen the game "Scrambled States of America"? My kids love it! They know all their states and most of the capitols without even trying to learn. It is based on the picture book with the same title.

Fanny Harville said...

Kim, Thanks for the tip -- I'll look for it!

Dr. Levinson said...

I have some other resources too (I list them all on a blog for convenience). We like the simple computer game Seterra (free) for learning the location of countries and capitals, Joan Sweeney's _Me on the Map_, and The Little Man in the Map (US states).

I love the idea of the quarters--I think we may do that, too! It would be a great Dad/Papa/kid activity...

Here's the blog on the off chance you are interested.

http://lightingthefireresources.wordpress.com/

Melanie

Fanny Harville said...

Melanie, thanks for the resources!