Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Field Trip to NYC

Fortunately, my university's spring break just happened to coincide with that of our homeschool, so we took a three-day trip last week to New York City to see the buildings and landmarks that N. loves. It was his first visit to the city, so N. determined the itinerary. 



We took an Amtrak train from Union Station in Washington D.C. to Penn Station; N. loved this trip though he couldn't stop lamenting the long-ago destruction of the old Penn Station! Immediately upon arrival, we went up to the 86th floor of the Empire State Building. Then we saw the Chrysler Building, the Chanin Building, Grand Central Station, and the New York Public Library. N. loved taking the 7 train between Grand Central and Sunnyside, Queens, where we were staying.

The second day we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge and back, saw the new Frank Gehry apartment tower going up nearby, the Woolworth Building, the old 1802 City Hall, St. Paul's Chapel, happened on the Canal Street Post Office, saw Carnegie Hall, visited the Steinway store across the street (where N. played a $100,000 piano built in 1891), played in Central Park, and visited the Natural History Museum.

The third day we went to the NYPL again and went inside this time, played a bit in Central Park again, then spent a long time at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. We saw the Guggenheim (only the outside and the central atrium) and then walked all the way back to Penn Station from there along Madison and later 5th Ave., stopping to see the The Plaza Hotel, St. Patrick's Cathedral, and Rockefeller Center before catching our Amtrak back to D.C.
 N. enjoyed his introduction to New York. Of course there are a zillion more things I wish we could have done that he would have loved, including the transportation museum in Brooklyn, the Steinway factory in Queens, the Frick, the Pierpont Morgan Library... etc., not to mention plays or concerts for the grown-ups!   But N. saw everything he hoped to see on this visit, and he was satisfied. We plan to go again in the future. He loved the train and subway, all the trucks and taxis on the streets and all the people on the sidewalks. He was happy to see his favorite buildings and it was really fun to see the city through his eyes.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

We cannot wait to take Benjamin to NYC. Pre-Ben Michael and I visited often...usually, galleries. We'd love to take Ben for a few days--or a weekend.

Your photos are wonderful & I can't agree more, I bet it was delightful seeing the city through N's eyes. :)

Emily said...

I'm so glad that you guys got to go and had a good trip. I just wish I could have been there at the same time! Next time you'll have to include a weekend in your stay.

Mom and Kiddo said...

Hooray for NYC! If N. hasn't read it yet, he might like the book Old Penn Station by William Low.

ChristineMM said...

Wow your post is another kick in my butt leading me to ask myself why we do not go into the City more often since it's an hour train ride in and we can do it as a day trip. Thanks for the reminder that I'm overlooking fantastic experiences. We have been going in only about twice a year. Stupid me.

Fanny Harville said...

Mom & Kiddo, Thanks -- I don't know the book Old Penn Station but I am sure N would LOVE it!

ChristineMM, I know: I regret that when I lived in New Jersey for 6 years, I didn't go into the city very often. Now it's a huge treat to go.