Monday, May 16, 2011

They've Gone About As Far as They Can Go

The university arts conservatory in our city recently put on a spectacular student production of Oklahoma! We'd been preparing for it by listening to the original Broadway soundtrack nonstop for the past 700 years few months and N. loved the music.  He was really excited for the performance, his first theater experience (not counting ballet and modern dance).  The production goal was to reproduce the original performance from 1943 to the letter, including the original choreography, set design, etc.  The principals even flew to New York to meet with the original performers who are still living.

I am not generally a big fan of musicals, but this was an incredible experience and it was so fun to share it with N., who just beamed at all his favorite songs.  We splurged on good seats only a few rows from the stage, and he was completely absorbed in the whole three-hour show.  He's been poring over the program ever since, and asked for the sheet music so he can learn to play the songs on the piano.  This was a fabulous introduction to the magic of theater!

2 comments:

Mom and Kiddo said...

I used to give a lecture on the American Musical and I would use Oklahoma! as the example of the first mature musical to successfully marry book and score. Researching for that lecture gave me a new appreciation for the form, although there are still some shows -- like Weber's work -- that I have a hard time putting up with. I'm glad N.enjoyed the experience. I think musicals have the advantage of turning people onto the magic of theater.

Fanny Harville said...

M&K, that explains why I enjoyed it more than I expected to! Usually I get annoyed by the disconnect between book and score.