Monday, September 24, 2012

Another Historically Significant Gas Station

After visiting Frank Lloyd Wright's gas station in Cloquet, MN earlier this summer, N. suggested we check out an unusual gas station closer to home: the Shell Service Station, which was built around 1930 by Frank L. Blume & Co. to draw attention to the Shell Company.  There were once 8 of these stations in our city; this is the only one remaining.  It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was recently restored.  The structure is a bent-wood frame covered with hand-sculpted concrete (N. was surprised that the frame wasn't made of metal).

Here's a "lesson plan" from the National Park Service on Roadside Attractions that starts with this station and includes some other odd American novelty buildings.  I read somewhere that this was the first gas station to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places, but I don't know if that's accurate.

I'm adding Gas Stations to my ever-growing List of Things I Never Thought I'd Be Interested in Before I Had A Son and Started Homeschooling!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so cool! If I didn't see N standing in front of it, i'd think it was a toy gas station! Is it right in your city? You'll have to show us sometime.
-CMR

Fanny Harville said...

Mom, N. would love to take you to see it!