Thursday, September 13, 2012

Drawing Update, 2012


It's been more than a year since I posted any pictures of N.'s drawings, but he continues to draw nearly every day.  Whenever we go somewhere, he brings his drawing bag and sketchbook; it's his favorite way of amusing himself when the adult conversation gets tedious or the restaurant food takes too long to arrive.  He almost exclusively draws the trains and buildings of his elaborate imaginary world, and his drawings have become very detailed and miniscule.  He enjoyed taking several art classes over the past two years where he got to explore other media, but he didn't get any instruction in the two aspects of drawing in which he most wants to improve: perspective and the human figure.  I'm in the process of arranging a few private drawing lessons to this end. 

From the beginning, one of the reasons we didn't send N. to conventional school was to preserve for him the daily time to draw that was clearly so important to him.  I'm sure somehow he'd find time to draw if he weren't homeschooled, but I'm glad that this activity that matters so much to him gets pride of place in his day.





5 comments:

sarah said...

I am so very impressed by these drawings. The top one especially - wow!

Momand Kiddo said...

I'm sure you hear this all the time, but who doesn't like to hear their kid praised so I will say it again: these are really amazing.

Fanny Harville said...

I haven't posted pictures of his drawings for so long because I didn't want to trawl for compliments, but I do love his drawings, especially the buildings and stories he tells us about them.

Emily said...

No wonder you don't want to get rid of any of them. (-: I love all of his drawings, too. I'll be interested to see how his drawing changes once he feels he has "learned" how to draw human figures.

Adrienne Pilon ("A") said...

Love these. They are very much a "style"---something you can look at and say, "N did this."