Wednesday, December 12, 2012

What We're Reading Now

N.'s drawing of a sailboat inspired by We Didn't Mean to Go to Sea
We've been immersed in some wonderful books lately!  I just finished reading aloud We Didn't Mean to Go To Sea, the seventh book in the Swallows and Amazons series by Arthur Ransome.  I have a lot to say about why we love these books so much, but for now I'll just note that we do.  So much!  N. adores the characters.  Don't let the unfamiliar sailing terms in the first volume deter you!  (I will note that we didn't finish the third book, Peter Duck, which is supposedly a tale the characters make up rather than an account of their own adventures.) I feel absurd levels of gratitude to the Internet for making me aware of these books, which I had never heard of before a few years ago and which have brought us such familial reading pleasure.  If you are already a fan of Ransome's books, you should read Roland Chambers' recent biography The Last Englishman.   

While we eagerly await the arrival of a recently ordered used copy of Secret Water, the eighth in the Swallows and Amazons series, I am reading aloud Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank B. Gilbreth, Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth.  It's even more fun than the 1950 Myrna Loy movie led me to expect.

Last week N. discovered Clementine on our shelves and has since devoured the first three books in Sara Pennypacker's series about the irrepressible redhead (are redheads in literature ever repressible?).  It's been a while since he has read fiction with such avidity (he gravitates to Trains Magazine, Classic Trains Magazine, and National Geographic, or he rereads Harry Potter or Diary of a Wimpy Kid, for his pleasure reading), so I was happy to see him enjoying these so heartily.

Tim recently began reading N. a biography of Mozart.  Tim tutors two middle-school-aged homeschool students and he's studying Henry VI with one and Huckleberry Finn with the other, which means he's spending his evenings rereading those texts.  For his own pleasure reading, he's reading Midnight in Sicily by Peter Robb.

I just finished Zadie Smith's NW on Sunday and last night I started Bring Up The Bodies by Hilary Mantel.  I loved Wolf Hall and am already loving this sequel.

[I'm linking to The Children's Bookshelf.]

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nora Charles is a *much* more fitting role for Myrna Loy.

Fanny Harville said...

Undeniably true. Probably nothing she did could ever be as wonderful as her Nora.

Momand Kiddo said...

When I was a kid Cheaper by the Dozen was one of my favorite books. I didn't watch the movie until I was an adult. Clementine is one of my favorite early chapter book series. I think it is one of those series that adults can enjoy reading aloud (unlike many series which shall remain nameless...). Thanks for linking up to TCB, I always like hearing what N. is reading.

Bethany @ No Twiddle Twaddle said...

I remember my first introduction to the book Cheaper by the Dozen when it and its sequel were on my teacher's bookshelf in school. I loved them both. I actually tried to locate a copy of the sequel a while back, but if I remember correctly it is out of print and a little difficult to find. I thought the sequel was even funnier than the first book as a kid. Oh, and thanks for linking up to TCB!

Anonymous said...

love N's picture.

-cmr

Fanny Harville said...

Bethany, I just ordered a cheap used copy of the sequel to Cheaper by the Dozen on Abebooks.com. It's called Belles on Their Toes.