Thursday, January 24, 2013

Ai Weiwei

Ai Weiwei, Straight.  [Source]
After Thanksgiving I wrote about our visit to the Hirshhorn Gallery in Washington, D.C. in November, especially noting N.'s struggles to reconcile his contradictory feelings about the wide-ranging work of Ai Weiwei.  So I especially appreciated this lovely, long public radio piece on Ai's show, "According to What?" including the personal reactions of radio host Melissa Block and the thoughts of other viewers of the art.  The radio piece movingly conveys the power of Ai's work, which continues to haunt me.

2 comments:

Erica MomandKiddo said...

I heard that wonderful radio piece, too. In addition, he did an interview with our local NPR host which I also enjoyed.

Adrienne Pilon ("A") said...

I am planning on listening to the radio piece, as I missed it. We recently saw "Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry" and enjoyed it--with the kids, though I don't know how age ap. it is for N. and it isn't a great film, but was interesting. It focused primarily on his political activism; I'd have liked more art. But you can't have one without the other in this case.