Thursday, February 14, 2013

Field Trip: Korner's Folly

Recently N. asked me to take him to this funny house (do check out the website -- it's a crazy place).  It was begun in 1878 and dramatically remodeled several times by its owner, a sign-painter and interior designer.  We'd been there three times before, but N. continues to enjoy marveling over its outlandish decorations and strangely proportioned rooms.  Although it seems that the Korners had some personal pretensions to grandeur, their house is unusual among the many fancy historic homes we've visited with N. because it doesn't seem to take itself too seriously.  It's a folly! 
 

3 comments:

Erica MomandKiddo said...

Your post reminded me of a long-forgotten trip from my childhood when I visited the Winchester Mystery House, another crazy house. It's in San Jose, California.

Anonymous said...

I agree with N--love that place!

-cmr

Fanny Harville said...

Wow, the Winchester Mystery House looks outrageous!