Friday, June 21, 2013

Check It Out! The Great Summer Library Challenge for Kids

I love making lists, but N. has never been interested in the summer reading programs hosted by libraries and bookstores, which usually involve listing books read over the summer months.  So I really appreciate the fresh approach to summer reading that Erica at What Do We Do All Day and Bethany at No Twiddle Twaddle are taking with their Great Summer Library Challenge for Kids.  They've come up with a bunch of fun, scavenger-hunt-style "challenges" to help kids get to know their library.  I like that they emphasize exploration rather than quantity, as in the usual summer list.  Much as we go to the library, I'm pretty sure N. doesn't know as much yet about how to explore the library as these challenges would teach him.  I think these activities will help him think beyond the computer catalog when he wants to browse.  The non-fiction challenges are especially smart.  I'm looking forward to trying them out with N.! 

2 comments:

Erica MomandKiddo said...

Thanks for sharing this. I hope you have a good time together and N finds the library a great place to hang out. If you get a chance to share your experience with the challenges, Bethany and I would love to hear them.

Bethany Winston said...

Thank you so much for writing about our library challenges. I'm so glad that you are enjoying them and I hope that you find lots of great books! Like Erica said, keep us posted!