Monday, April 28, 2014

More and More Mysterious


N. has been utterly absorbed for the past week in the Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart.  I bought the book at our local used book store a couple years ago after hearing good things about it but decided it would be more fun for N. to read it himself than to listen to it read aloud.  He was hooked from the first page and spent as much of the past week as he could reading.  He even sent a friend a letter all in Morse Code (puzzles to be decoded figure prominently in The Mysterious Benedict Society).  He finished the book this morning, marveled that he had read more than 400 densely printed pages in a week, and immediately began reading the sequel.  I love that homeschooling gives him the freedom and the time to dive deep into whatever he's excited about.  And obviously I need to rescind my previous hand-wringing about his reading books through to the end!

2 comments:

Marah G. said...

I really liked the first one, too, but thought the first sequel was disappointing, so I stopped reading them after that. Let me know what Norris thinks of it if he continues on!

Relatedly, I love books that I think of as "puzzle books"-- has Norris read HOLES by Louis Sachar, WHEN YOU REACH ME by Rebecca Stead, and of course THE WESTING GAME by Ellen Raskin? I recommend them all very highly!

Miss you guys!!!
Marah

Fanny Harville said...

Funny you should say this, Marah, because he didn't get very far into the second Benedict book before losing interest! I don't know if he'll pick it back up again or not.

You gave us Holes a while back but he hast read it yet, and I'll put the others on our list too. I always appreciate your recommendations!

And we miss you too! Xxxooo