Wednesday, July 16, 2014

What We're Reading Now: Summer Reading

Lots of summer reading going on in our family, and again, two out of three of us are reading multiple titles at once.  N. was introduced to the Emily Windsnap series by his good friend and he tore through the first two (he says he doesn't like this third one as well).  [Digression: is it necessary to make these books so very very pink?  I'm a big believer in boys and girls reading books about the opposite gender, but the styling of these books might make them a hard sell to boys who have been socialized to scorn pink.  Happily this is not the case with N., but it still annoys me!]  Henry Reed's Babysitting Service is the second N. has read in this series.  He's loving the Asterix omnibuses #7 and 8, which I got for our recent long car trip.  And I realized he'd never read Where the Wild Things Are (what kind of neglectful parent am I???) so we recently got it out from the library.  I'm reading Minnow on the Say aloud to N. and we are very much enjoying it so far; we loved Tom's Midnight Garden, another title we read by Phillipa Pearce a couple months ago.

I just finished How to Create the Perfect Wife: Britain's Most Ineligible Bachelor and His Enlightened Quest to Train the Ideal Mate by Wendy Moore, a popular/trade (i.e. not meant for academics) account of the fascinating story of an 18th-century devotee of Rousseau who tried to mold an orphan into his idiosyncratic model of a perfect wife.  It's a quick read and a crazy story; I recommend it!  I've just started The Luminaries and am excited about it.  I'm supposed to be reading Hillary Clinton's new book on kindle for my book club but I just can't bring myself to start it (a friend pointed out this story about kindle tracking of reader highlights that suggest that a majority of kindle readers of Hard Choices so far have not made it past p. 35!).

Tim is simultaneously reading Zealot by Reza Aslan, Buyology by Martin Lindstrom, and Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks, as well as The Rings of Saturn by W. G. Sebald.  He is enjoying them all!


3 comments:

CMR said...

Love O. Sacks. Give us a book report on Hillary when you get thru it!

Erica MomandKiddo said...

Neither of my kids liked Where the Wild Things Are. They would never even let me read it!

Fanny Harville said...

Erica, that's so funny! I think N. might have found it scary when he was younger, but now he likes it.